145336 627 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
John Douglas was born around 1921. He was the youngest son of Reverend Canon John Frederick Hughes MA and Elsie Hughes. His father was inducted as the Rector of St. Gregory’s Church, Sudbury on 31st July 1929 and the family lived at The Rectory until 1957. He was also the Mayoral Chaplain.
John served as a navigator with No.627 Squadron, which was equipped with De Havilland Mosquito bombers. The Squadron was formed from ‘C’ Flight of No. 139 Squadron based at RAF Wyton. In November 1943 as part of the No. 8 Group (previously the Pathfinder Force) it moved to RAF Oakington, 5 miles northwest of Cambridge alongside a squadron of Lancaster bombers and became operational on the night of 24th November 1943. It was heavily engaged in operations over Berlin and other major targets.
John was reported ‘missing in operations’ and later confirmed as having died on 1st February 1944. He was aged 23 and lies buried in Hanover War Cemetery.
Back to Roll of Honour